Return after “zero tolerance”: Immigrant families tested by death and immigration policy in the United States reunited after 2 years of separation

Return after "zero tolerance": Immigrant families tested by death and immigration policy in the United States reunited after 2 years of separation

Los angeles – Cleave’s youngest daughter, Allison, doesn’t let the blue welcome poster she or her father Fernando Aredondo create. Her older daughters, Kelly and Andrea, spread out the place for visitors to see the best of their father’s first glimpse. Clevy himself was nervous.

Shortly before midnight, a group of Fernando’s immigrant parents, lawyers and faith leaders woke up. Andrea, 14, got to see him first, but 7-year-old Allison, who rushed to Fernando and yelled, “Daddy!” AK Fernando hugs his daughters before kissing Tiara Clive and lifting Allison up in the air.

“Thank you, God. Thank you, God,” Fernando raised his hand in Spanish, looking upward as he hugged his family for the first time in almost two years.

Guatemalan’s family’s three-year deadline for staying together to protect the United States seemed to have been possible, with Fernando arriving at Los Angeles International Airport on January 22, with a court order. Delighted to be back with her family, her thoughts immediately went to other families in Central America who suffered the same tragedy.

“We all deserve a chance at life,” he told CBS News, “and our parents who are watching us, who are separated from their children, have patience, faith and a lot of prayers because there are miracles.”

Immigration-Family Separation
Fernando Aredondo is reunited with his daughter Andrea, second from left, Kelly, right and left, at London Angels International Airport in Los Angeles on Wednesday, January 22, 2020.

Ringo H.W. Chew / Ep

The American Civil Liberties Union, or ACLU, believes that a court has established a precedent allowing Fernando and eight other immigrant parents following a court decision Make a historical return to the US Last month.

In him The ruler Last September, U.S. District Court Judge Dana Sabrav in San Diego said Fernando and 10 other parents could return to the U.S. to reunite with their children and pursue their asylum cases because he found that they were illegally deported after providing false information. US officials or forced to waive their rights.

If it can prove that the parents were deported illegally, the ACLU believes that the group estimates that hundreds of parents could order expulsion in Mexico and Central America after US team officials separated from their children.

“If we find that they have been misled or forced to give up their asylum rights, we will ask the judge to bring them back again,” ACLU’s top immigration lawyer Lee Geraint told CBS News. . “I think this is a test case of what the nine might be.”

“Accessible” parent

In the summer of 2018, the ACLU formed a “steering committee” to seek out and interview parents who were deported to the Trump administration after being separated from their children. From there the lawyers, Paul, Weiss, Rifind, Wharton and Garrison and the nonprofit organization Motion in Motion And Kids need in-defense Sabra has taken what he calls a “Herculean effort” to identify these families.

Through phone calls and on-ground inquiries, committee Fernando and about 500 parents were deported after their separation from their children in the spring of 2018 under the Trump administration’s methodological practice of separating families. Most chose to waive their right to re-send their children to Central America or to reunite in the United States to allow their children to continue their asylum litigation.

In October 2019, the United States revealed that it has made a difference An additional 1,556 children Since their parents were in the height of the “zero tolerance” policy in the summer of June 20 and June 29, since the time Sabra said these families might be eligible to reunite, the steering committee spent months tracking them.

The committee reached out to 346 parents or their attorneys. The administration’s phone numbers were often out of date or outdated because they could not be reached – about 700.

The committee continued to call 386 of these parents, but found the rest to be “approachable.” Justice in Motion sent 22 team members to search the ground floor in cities and remote villages throughout Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador, leading the campaign to find them.

The group has tracked at least 1 parent and hated the area for the rest, sent 1,100 letters to a government-issued address and set up a hotline for individual parents. If a home address is not included in the United States immigration files, lawyers become the local public record.

“Defenders are using all kinds of transportation. Some use motorcycles, motorbikes and scooters. Some have to rent four-wheel drive, and others are moving on foot or by bike,” Justice Nan Shivone, Moses’ legal director, told CBS News. “There is a lot of effort to reach out to the community in the true sense, whether listed by the government or in public record documents.”

Of the families it has reached out to and interviewed them, Justice in Motion said it has identified their parents who are still their children and may be eligible for the same relief Fernando and 10 other parents were granted last September. The nonprofit is referring these national cases to the ACLU for future litigation.

“We are certainly finding the same situation: families that still need protection, at the moment of separation, and in the U.S. as a result of a due process violation in the asylum process,” Shivone said.

Fernando said he wants the same opportunity for other parents as he is certain that some families have had the same experience as his family before the reunion last month or

“Mommy, they’ll kill us”

After listening to more than a dozen alouds, playing like explosives, Clive immediately worried about his kids.

“When I went out, my son was lying on the ground,” Clivey told CBS News in Spanish, breaking into tears as he listened to a tragic episode on April 23 that was tied to his memory.

Her 4-year-old son Marco was shot outside his grandmother’s house on a working-class parade on the outskirts of Guatemala City. Standing beside Marco with his body torn to death was his sister Kelly, who was preparing to celebrate a traditional Latin American celebration for girls in remembrance of his fiftieth birthday.

“Kelly was by his side. They were together,” Clevy said. “And Kelly witnessed that.”

Kleavy’s husband Fernando, then a taxi driver, rushed to see his family. Fernando later filed in court, writing, “The scene was horrific when I arrived at my mother-in-law’s house.” Everyone was still screaming, and I saw Clive shouting at Marco. Marco was already dead. “

According to a Guatemalan police report, two young men shot Marco multiple times in the head and stomach. In one of the pictures, Kleavy is shown on the ground, with the audience and policemen trapped in his son’s body.

“That day changed my life,” Clevy said. “Very.”

In an unbroken photo by Marco Arendo, his grandmother and his mother, Clavi Jerez Lara.

Courtesy of the Aredondo family

The family is convinced that Marco died because he and his father were part of a neighboring watch made to protect their community from the party.

The day after Marco’s burial, Fernando said that two armed men had warned him that if he kept talking to the police, they would kill the rest of his family. “They knew all our names, where we lived and how to find us,” he wrote in a court announcement.

The family said that Guatemalan authorities were unable or unwilling to fully investigate Marco’s murder and could not confirm that they would not be harmed. They’ve left home 12 years and moved from one place to another, but never feel safe.

Clevy said he realized that they had to leave Guatemala to celebrate the neighbor’s birthday. Referring to Allison, she said, “They started lighting fireworks. This girl was hurt.” “He shouted, ‘Mom, they’ll kill us. Mom, let’s get out of here.”

In February 2018, the family departed the United States via Mexico. Two hours before reaching the southern border of the United States, Mexican officials took Fernando and Andrea from the bus they were on.

Clevi said he had promised Fernando that they would move forward if they were separated. So he continued his journey with Kelly and Allison, telling U.S. officials at the Texas border crossing in May 2018 that they were afraid to return to Guatemala.

The family was detained together hielera, Or Icebox, many immigrants say on the Border Patrol Holding Cells where they are issued mylar blankets and sleep on the concrete floor. Conditions were especially difficult for 5-year-old Allison. “I grabbed a roll of toilet paper and rubbed it from head to toe like a mamma,” Clevy recalled of a sleepless night inside the cell.

Klavi, Kelly and Allison spent three days in Border Patrol custody before being released at a local shelter. Less than a week after Fernando and Andrea’s other family members arrived at the same US border. However, the two met each other.

“We all knocked on the door.”

Fathers and daughters separated during the administration’s “zero tolerance” border crackdown. “They alienated us somewhere,” Andrea told CBS News later, “They took me to a place with other kids. The little kids were crying and it scared me even more.”

Border officials separated more than 2,800 immigrant families before a June 2018 court ruling concluded the practice. Some families, such as Fernando, also sought separation after seeking asylum across the border.

Fernando said he had no answer to his plea to find out why he had separated from Andrea. “During the court filing,” he wrote, “At three o’clock in the morning the day Andrea was taken from me, all the detained children were kept outside in a queue.” “” We could see them through the windows of our rooms. We all knocked on the door of the room to ask what had happened. None of the officers answered our question. “

Andrea Fernando, who spent nearly two weeks in a San Antonio public asylum before being reunited with his mother and sister in Los Angeles, was detained for three months and sent to four different detention centers in Texas and Georgia.

According to a Georgia court filing, Fernando Dengue was suffering from fever symptoms and urinary tract infections. He lost eight pounds. He became increasingly desperate and tried to find comfort in reading the Bible. “I prayed a lot to avoid thinking about suicide,” she writes.

কয়েক সপ্তাহ আটক থাকার পরে, ফার্নান্দোকে বলা হয়েছিল যে তিনি তার “বিশ্বাসযোগ্য ভয়” সাক্ষাত্কারে ব্যর্থ হয়েছেন, প্রথম পদক্ষেপে অভিবাসীদের আশ্রয়ের আবেদন করার জন্য পাস করতে হবে। ফার্নান্দো একটি আইনি ঘোষণায় লিখেছিলেন, “আমি মারাত্মকভাবে অসুস্থ, মানসিক ও শারীরিকভাবে অসুস্থ বোধ করছিলাম এবং আইসিই আধিকারিক এটিকে খুব স্পষ্ট জানিয়ে দিয়েছিলেন যে মার্কিন যুক্তরাষ্ট্রে আশ্রয় পাওয়ার জন্য আমার কিছুই করার ছিল না।” “আমি জানতাম না তারা কতক্ষণ আমাকে সেই ভয়াবহ জায়গায় রাখবে।”

দীর্ঘ সময় আটকে থাকার ভয়ে ফার্নান্দো সিবিএস নিউজের দ্বারা পর্যালোচিত একটি নথিতে স্বাক্ষর করেছিলেন যাতে তিনি কোনও অভিবাসন বিচারককে বিশ্বাসযোগ্য ভয় মূল্যায়নের পুনর্বিবেচনার অনুরোধ করতে অস্বীকার করেছিলেন। আগস্ট 2018 সালে তাকে গুয়াতেমালায় নির্বাসন দেওয়া হয়েছিল এবং সঙ্গে সঙ্গে তিনি আত্মগোপনে চলে যান।

প্রধান পরিবার বিচ্ছেদ মামলার তদারকিকারী বিচারপতি সাব্রুর প্রায় একমাস পর ফার্নান্দোর দেশত্যাগ ঘটেছিল, কর্মকর্তাদের পরিবারকে পুনরায় একত্রিত করতে এবং বিচ্ছিন্ন বাবা-মায়ের নির্বাসন বন্ধ করার নির্দেশ দিয়েছেন। “পরিবারের বিচারক লিন্ডা ডাকিন-গ্রিম সিবিএস নিউজকে বলেছেন,” বিচারক সাবরুর নিজস্ব আদেশ লঙ্ঘন করে ফার্নান্দোকে নির্বাসন দেওয়া হয়েছিল। “


ক্যামিলো মন্টোয়া-গালভেজ / সিবিএস নিউজ

“আমরা এখানে নিরাপদ”

ফার্নান্দো যখন তার পুত্রকে হত্যা করেছিল সেই গ্যাংয়ের সদস্যদের কাছ থেকে লুকিয়ে ছিল, ক্লেইভি এবং তার কন্যারা কিছুটা স্থিতিশীলতা পেয়েছিল। তিনি লস অ্যাঞ্জেলেসের মূলত লাতিনো ফ্লোরেন্স পাড়ায় একটি বাড়ি ভাড়া নিয়েছিলেন, যেখানে মেয়েরা স্থানীয় পাবলিক স্কুলে ভর্তি হয়েছিল।

তবুও ক্লিভি কখনই ফার্নান্দোর সুরক্ষার জন্য উদ্বেগ প্রকাশ করা বন্ধ করেননি: “আমাদের সুখ শেষ করতে একটি অংশ অনুপস্থিত ছিল।” গত মাসে ফিরে আসার সাথে সাথে ক্লেভিই বলেছিলেন যে পরিবারের “ধাঁধা” এখন সম্পূর্ণ।

পরিবারের আইনজীবী তাদের বিভিন্ন আশ্রয়ের মামলা একটিতে মার্জ করে দিয়েছেন এবং অভিবাসন আদালতে তাদের পরবর্তী শুনানি জুলাইয়ে অনুষ্ঠিত হবে। যদিও তাদের আশ্রয় আবেদনের ভাগ্য সম্পর্কে এখনও কিছুটা অনিশ্চয়তা রয়েছে, 7 বছর বয়সী অ্যালিসন খুশি যে তার পরিবার অবশেষে আমেরিকার মাটিতে একসাথে বসবাস করছে।

“আমরা এখানে নিরাপদ,” তিনি বলেছিলেন।

You May Also Like

About the Author: Muhammad

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *